Greetings,
"Magic is the word that comes to mind for me when I think of Muscle Shoals"
Those are the first words spoken in the film Muscle Shoals, and they are spoken by Bono. I may complain often about the quantity of talking this man does, but, every now and then, he hits the nail on the head when it comes to quality. When he's right, he's right, and he is definitely right about Muscle Shoals. Don't believe me? Well, watch this movie. Okay, I'll tell you some things about it first.
Muscle Shoals is a documentary about the legendary music that was made in the titular small town in Alabama, particularly in two places, FAME Studio and Muscle Shoals Sound Studio. There was a LOT of music that came from this area, and we get to hear plenty about how that came to be. This film is full of some of the best interviews I've ever seen about said music. We get stories from some great artists who recorded in Muscle Shoals, like Aretha Franklin, Percy Sledge, Steve Winwood, just to name a few. Oh, and the Rolling Stones talk about how this was the place they recorded "Wild Horses", their best song ever, so, yeah, good times on that one. Of course, we get even more interesting tales from people you might not recognize. These were the phenomenal musicians behind the big names who created what came to be known as the Muscle Shoals sound.
More than anyone else it seems, we get stories from a guy named Rick Hall. He was the founder of FAME Studios, and I have to say, I came to really, really like this guy. He did not have an easy life, not in childhood nor adulthood, but what he did have was a love of music. He was passionate about creating it in the best way possible. He still is. And when I say that, I mean it in the purest, most realistic way. Rick Hall is tough in the recording studio. He does not stop, nor will he let any of the artists stop until the music is as perfect as it can be. Everyone says this about him, and this is why they love to work with him. They know he has a gift. They know that if he's still pushing them, it means they haven't gone as far as they can go. They know he will get them there. If anything, this man reminds us that, yes, there was a time when people cared intensely about the music they were making. One of my major complaints about music today is that it seems like no one cares. I'm not saying that no one actually does; I'm just saying it seems that way. If you also feel this way, you might spend a lot of time whilst watching this film wishing we could clone this guy and stick one of him in every studio in the world. He would be that good for the music world.
Anyway, there are a few themes that run through this movie. Music is obviously one of them, and also race. Of course. This sound which is discussed began in the South in the fifties. Yeah, racial issues might be brought up a little. The interesting thing is that, most of the time when they talk about this subject, particularly when it come to prejudice, it's done in a positive way. Let me explain. The musicians who were working at the studios in Muscle Shoals were predominantly white. Not always, I think, but a lot of the time, that was the case. But no one thought that was the case. No lie, someone tells a story about Paul Simon wanting the "black players" who were the rhythm section on "I'll Take You There" by The Staple Singers. The response he got was that it was possible to have that happen, but the guys he was looking for were "mighty pale". By the way, those pale guys were The Swampers, one of the greatest rhythm sections ever, and a lot of people were surprised at how soulful they could be. Apparently, this was a learning experience for all.
Another theme that comes up is water. Muscle Shoals lies right near the Tennessee River, a river that was once known by the Yuchi tribe as Nunnuhsae, "the river that sings". A man named Tom Hendrix sits at a place called Ishatae, a holy place of music and people. He is a descendant of the Yuchi tribe, and he tells a story of his great-great-greandmother, who was taken away in the 1800's to a place where they couldn't hold their ceremonies or sing or dance, so she went back. Walked back to the singing river. This is my favorite part of the film. It may be because of my own Native American blood, or because this man tells the story with such reverence for the place from which he came. I don't know, but it's worth the watch just for this.
I suppose what I came away with from this movie was a feeling, an almost indescribable feeling. It's odd, because, when they show Muscle Shoals, they show the river and trees and grass and buildings, and at first, I thought, 'Okay, I've seen these things. I live by these things. But why do I feel something different when I see those things in this place?' Well, Jimmy Cliff says that certain places have energy, and so many people talk about the power of this place. I agree. Things we deem as ordinary can become extraordinary because of where they are and what and who surrounds them. All I have to say is that, given the opportunity, I would definitely want to record here, even just one song would be enough.
So, in case it's not obvious, go watch this documentary. I'm saying that to everyone, but especially if you are a musician or a writer or an artist, or if you love to hear the stories of the people who are those things. It might be life-changing, or at least, very, very inspiring.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer