Friday, December 6, 2013

Joni Mitchell: Woman of Heart and Mind - Documentary Review

Greetings,

Did I mention that I'm a writer? Because I am. And I love being one. As I may have said before, I began with poetry, then moved on to songwriting and short stories and novels, and finally, this blog. I'd say the most personal of all those is the poetry, which is usually directly connected to the songs. I love being able to tell my stories through them, and I love when people ask about the stories behind them, as well as about my own process. And if there is one thing in which I absolutely relish, it is hearing other people share their own stories with me and the world at large. Therefore, I gravitate toward things like documentaries wherein the subject is a great writer. Enter Joni Mitchell: Woman of Heart and Mind.

This film was released in 2003, originally part of the PBS American Masters series. It is, easily, one of the most in depth and well-made documentaries I've ever seen. It takes us from her youth right on up to the present, as it should. And what it truly focuses on is her music, though, as I said, we do get all the wonderful stories that inspired the music. We hear from so many people who were right alongside her throughout her long career, like colleagues and friends, her contemporaries, who admittedly were always trying to keep up with her brilliance as a songwriter. And, of course, we hear from Joni, because who better to share all these tales than the woman herself.

Oh, and before I go on, let me say that all of you need not worry about one thing. This documentary is certainly not one of those cheap, unauthorized one. You know the kind. The ones where some narrator says, "And then Joni wrote a song called 'Both Sides Now'", but we don't actually get to hear "Both Sides Now". And then the narrator says, "And then Joni recorded a masterpiece album called 'Blue'", but we don't actually get to hear any songs from "Blue". You guys know what I'm talking about. You know about those "documentaries", and you probably hate them as much as I do. Well, calm down. THIS is not THAT. No, we get a ton of music in this, as well as clips of performances and whatnot, and it's great. I think it has to do with the fact that Joni was involved with the making of this. And thank God for that.

Speaking of Joni's involvement, she really did not back away from anything when it came to telling about the experiences of her life. She talked about her marriage at a very young age that kind of didn't work out so well, and her unexpected pregnancy, giving up her daughter and then finding her again, and about her relationships, mainly, the one with Graham Nash. She, indeed, shared the good, the bad and the ugly, and I so admire her for that. It is difficult to share things that are, most likely, still a bit painful, even years and decades later. But she never shied away from being open in her music, so it's no surprise that she was open in these interviews.

One thing about this documentary stuck out with me. Sure, everyone who has anything to say here says that Joni was and is a superb songwriter. No kidding. And I do love how Graham talks about watching her create her music, saying "It was a great thing to see somebody taken away by vision". But what they all specifically speak on is her lyrics, calling her one of the greatest poets. As someone who began in poetry and still considers that my strongest asset, I appreciate their saying that overwhelmingly. Someone even went so far as to tell us that, back then, being a great poet was even more revered than musicality. Times have changed, indeed. Still, it brings me such joy to know that, at some point in history, this was true. And it gives me hope that it may be true again someday. Actually, I personally have always gravitated towards Joni because of her words. Yes, she has this gorgeous voice and has created amazing melodies, but it's her words that have touched me the most. She has managed to come up with so many lyrics that can make a person stop and say, "Where did that come from?" And I think every writer hopes to be able to do that on their own. It's probably why Joni has inspired so many people.

So, if you are a fan of Joni Mitchell's, you will probably love this documentary. If you're someone who just knows about her because everyone does, or you've heard a few songs you like and always wanted to hear and know more, this is an excellent place to start. When it comes to documentaries, I'd say this is one of he best, especially when it comes to really telling the whole story.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer