Friday, December 27, 2013

Top Ten Best Hit Songs of 2013

Greetings,

So I've been thinking of doing some top ten lists featuring the best and worst hit songs of random years. It's tougher than it sounds, though not by that much. It's just when I look at that list of one hundred songs from whatever year, I realize how many I have forgotten or, perhaps, have never heard in the first place. So, to ease myself into doing that on a semi-regular basis, I decided to do what a lot of the pros will be doing around now. That is doing a best/worst list for THIS year. Now let me explain how I will be doing this.

If you'll notice, I said "hit" songs. I do not think I could fairly judge every single song that was made this year, so, in order to give myself a focus and a place to go for help, I am choosing these from Billboard's Hot 100 Year End List. Makes it easier. Keep in mind, you may see things here that you wouldn't expect for a couple of reasons, like say they came out actually last year. Well, there can always be a yearly overlap. But I decided that if THEY put it on, then I could put it on. Simple as that.

We're going to start with the best. And, as always, these are just my personal favorites. I am not an expert. I just know what I like, and for whatever reason, these are the songs that I found most enjoyable. So off we go.


#10. "I Will Wait" Mumford and Sons - There's a banjo in this song. I like banjos. And I like when they get played really fast. In general, I like when musicians can play their instruments fast and not have it sound like a mess. That's exactly what we get here. There's something I dig about the bluegrass sound in these modern times. Thanks to Mumford and Sons for helping to keep it alive.

#9. "Royals" Lorde - It seems there may have been another song written with poor people in mind that was more successful, but I like this one better. Say what you will about Lorde, and trust, I have yet to make up my mind where she is concerned, this song manages to stand out. It's different, and it's got such an interesting sound that drew me to it quite easily. I just hope that no one falls into the traps of being popular in lieu of being herself.

#8. "Mirrors" Justin Timberlake - So, Justin Timberlake and I have an interesting history. I was never a big fan of 'NSync, nor his solo career. I have actually been known to say that I like him as a comedian way better than I ever liked him as a musician, especially since he took over SNL (Bring it on in to Omeletteville, indeed!) However, I must be honest here, and honestly, I do like this song. With some people, I tend to go in with certain expectations, and I rarely expect to like his music. I do this time, though. I'm sure he's thrilled about that.

#7. "My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark (Light 'Em Up)" Fall Out Boy - Another one I did not see coming. I mean, it's Fall Out Boy, another act about which I was never too crazy. But I heard this song, and it got to me for some reason. I don't know. It kind of sounds like old school mixed with new stuff. That's always a good thing for a band to do, and I think they did it really well here.

#6. "Next To Me" Emeli Sande - I love when artists come along, and you can just tell that they are going to be different. They're not cookie cutter at all. They are unique. Emeli Sande is one of those artists, and this song is great. It's so soulful and genuine, and despite the fact that I heard Glee butchered it, I think it will last a long time and be remembered.

#5. "Brave" Sara Bareilles - I've liked Sara Bareilles for quite a while, gravitating toward her because she reminds me of the singer/songwriters of yore. This song just shows, yet again, how great she is. And so many people like this song, especially Katy Perry. Yeah, she REALLY liked this song. To almost a plagiaristic degree. Sorry, I had to bring it up. But who cares about that? This is about Sara and her awesomeness, not to mention originality. What a gal!

#4. "Wake Me Up" Avicii - Another genre of music I have never been into all that much is the whole techno, dance, made by a DJ stuff. So this song, again, took me by surprise. I think it took a lot of people by surprise, what with the mix of that techno/DJ thing with some country sounding music. There's a fun combo. Now, technically, Avicii is the stage name of Swedish DJ and producer, Tim Bergling, and he put this all together. But I would be remiss to mention the great vocals done by Aloe Blacc, an American soul singer, and the acoustic guitar by Mike Einziger. See, collaboration is good.

#3. "Summertime Sadness" Lana Del Rey - I like this Lana Del Rey person. She's kinda different from a lot of what we have today, seems a bit throwback and vintage-y. Now wonder I gravitated toward this one. I hope she stays around for a while.

#2. "Ho Hey" The Lumineers - Yes, I did not expect to see this song on this year's Billboard list either. But it was there, so I had to put it here. It's that good. I like this, again, because it's different, but it also has a nice simplicity to it. And that does not mean that it is simple. I hate when people confuse those two things. It is well-crafted to the point where I say, as a songwriter, "I don't think I could do anything like that", yet it is so straight forward in the storytelling that I feel like I can relate to it. And that's what makes a great song. Raising the bar whilst still holding out a hand that can reach the masses.

#1. "The Way" Ariana Grande featuring Mac Miller - That's right. This is my favorite hit song of the year. I'm kind of shocked. Not that it's not good. I just thought I, personally, would have picked something else, something a bit closer to what I usually hold in high regard. But I can't help it. I absolutely love this song. It just makes me so happy. It reminds me of music that was popular in the eighties or early nineties, but still done for today, all fun and "poppy" in it's purest form. And Ariana Grande is so cute and has such a great voice, better than a lot of these young singers out there. Then, you get Mac Miller who is super fun on this. So, yeah, this is the winner for the year. Not a ton of things I hear on the radio puts a nice smile on my face, but this did it the most.


And there are my favorites for the year. You can agree or disagree, that's always fine with me. But these are the ones I will most likely listen to often in the coming years, maybe even longer. As opposed to songs where hearing them one time was one time too many. We'll get to those next time.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer