Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Top Ten Dream Songwriting Partners

Greetings,

I occasionally refer to myself as a songwriter as I have made many attempts to be one. For the record, I a much better at the lyric part. Well, in the spirit of that subject, I thought I'd share a list of people with whom I would most love to write some songs. I guess. At least, for now.

Okay, here's the thing about this list. It is certainly one that will be written in pencil as opposed to ink. Metaphorically speaking, of course. I mean, I could probably do a Top One Hundred list of songwriters with whom I want to work, easily. Like I said, I thirst for collaboration, so much so that I would be pretty open to working with anyone who could help me, or give me a great experience in the creative process. My opinions or feelings about these people may change, or they may do or say something to get them ejected (that has happened to some in the past). For now, though, these ten are at the top of the heap, and many of these names may sound familiar in the context of my blog, since I have mentioned many of them before.

Oh, and one more thing. I know I'm using the word "dream", but I do have limitations. Namely, no dead people. Would I love to write with the likes of John Lennon, Jeff Buckley or all THREE of the Bee Gees? Sure, I would, and perhaps they will get their own list one day. But I'm going to throw some realism and hope, even, into this particular group. I mean, the best dreams are ones that really do have the possibility of coming true, no matter how out of reach they seem. So these are a bunch of talented songwriters who make me say, "Hey, you never know what could happen!"


#10.Noel Gallagher - Yes, I know. I know what you're thinking. "Dream songwriting partner? Seems like he might be a bit difficult to work with?" Well, probably, but that's the price one pays for collaborating with someone that brilliant. Okay, there might be other reasons that working with him might be difficult, but who cares? And now that the somewhat obsessive infatuation that I had for his brother in my youth has long since passed, I can full on admit that Noel was, indeed, the brains behind the operation known as Oasis.

#9. Christian Kane - I often wonder if actors are anything like the characters they portray. For instance, I know that Elliot Spencer, the character that Christian Kane played on Leverage, is good at music, cooking and beating people up. Well, I don't know if Christian can cook, but I have high hopes. I know he can beat people up, because he pretty much always does his own stunts. And music? I know for certain that he excels at that. I did, after all, give his album, The House Rules, a very positive review. So, if you put all these things together, I could have a guy who could write a song with me, punch someone who gives me a hard time, if necessary, and then make me dinner. For what more could a girl ask. Seriously, though, I think that it would be fantastic to write with someone as talented and fun as Christian Kane. And I don't really think he goes around punching people all the time. Maybe.

#8. Jimmy Wayne - Here's someone else whose album got a great review from me. One of the reasons why I liked it so much was the way that Jimmy exposed a lot of things about his personal life, mostly his past, in so much of the music. If there is one thing that bothers me, it is artists who just do not have the courage or need or even want to be heartbreakingly honest. I'm not saying it has to be done to the point of nausea, which I've seen happen, but it has to be done at some point. And it has to be done enough for people to see who we really are, so what we create will be enough for them. This is something I try to do, and obviously, I think Jimmy has also done it beautifully in his own work. It makes me believe that I wouldn't feel so insecure about sharing all the personal things in my own work with him.

#7. Fiona Apple - I could be wrong, but I think I heard Fiona say in an interview that she doesn't write songs constantly. She writes when she has something she wants to write about. I think some people could take a lesson from that, not that there's anything wrong with being a compulsive writer (guilty!). Do I wish that she wrote so much that she had a new album out every year or so full of her unique and stunning material? Yes, I do. But things like that cannot be forced. And why would we want it to be? Much like my beloved Daniel Day-Lewis who gives us a movie maybe once every couple of years, but always having it be excellent work, Fiona seems to create great things when they are ready to be created, and then she shares them with us. It may not be as often as her fans want, but I choose quality over quantity. I just hope that our paths cross when she is in a ready-to-write mode.

#6. Glen Hansard - I'm sure I would never refer to myself as a "fangirl" on anything, but if I ever come close, this would be the time. You may recall my love of a movie entitled Once, which is the reason for all this. If you have not seen that film, it is about two strangers, a guy and a girl, who meet one day and then start writing songs together, and said guy was portrayed by Glen Hansard. Yeah, believe it or not, that scenario is fairly high on my fantasy list. So, seeing this film always sparks that in me, which in turn led me to thinking how amazing it would be to meet this specific guy on the street and start writing with him. To actually be the girl (no offense, Marketa!) Initially, that would be kind of "fangirl"-ish, but I have had the pleasure of listening to more of his music and seeing some live performances. The passion this man has for his art is like nothing I've ever seen, and, frankly, working with someone who is so intense and gifted would be phenomenal.

#5. Stevie Nicks - If memory serves, I believe I have done three individual posts on Stevie Nicks. Yes. I am a fan. I guess that makes this choice pretty obvious. Or maybe not. Who knows? Funny thing, though, it was seeing Stevie's In Your Dreams documentary that gave me a good idea of what I would want an album making experience to be. But that aside, I have always had such massive admiration for Stevie as a writer, despite the occasional faux pas, which we aren't going to discuss now. Again, she is someone who is unafraid to tell the stories of her life, the good and the bad, through her songs. I have already learned so much from her, and I don't doubt I can learn more.

#4. Nina Gordon - If there is anyone of whom I am speaking today that I really want this list to reach, it is Nina Gordon. First, because she has placed quite high on this list, and second, because I have no idea where she is. I may or may not have mentioned this when I reviewed both of her albums, but she really hasn't been heard from in about seven years. Not to say she fell off the face of the Earth or anything. I mean, she did have a baby in, I think, 2007, and may have wanted to take some time off to be a mommy. I respect that. But as far as being in the public eye, she hasn't been. At all. Again, if she has chosen to retire from making albums and being famous, I do respect that as well. Still, I love her work a lot, and it is very much the kind of music I would want to make. So, here's hoping she makes some kind of comeback, and that maybe I can give her a hand with that.

#3. Gotye - That's right. Kind of a new guy on the list. And before you go accusing me of trying to be trendy by putting someone on here that is so recently and currently successful, I am not doing that. If I wanted to be trendy, I would be talking about One Direction or the "Call Me Maybe" girl. And THAT will not be happening. Look, I can admit that I found out about Gotye (Or Wouter "Wally" De Backer as he is known to his friends) the same way that everyone else did. I heard the song "Somebody That I Used To Know", and I liked it. Then, I heard some of his other stuff, and I liked that. But what really made me become incredibly drawn into him was a couple of short but effective documentaries I found on the You Tube. One was about how he made his album, Making Mirrors, and the other focused on the making of one specific song, "Eyes Wide Open". I was utterly floored at how creative and innovative this man is in his process of making music. I literally felt like a little kid watching a grown up do something and being so fascinated that I just wanted to be a part of it any way I could. Now I don't want to go into too much detail, since I am planning to review that album soon, but it's been awhile since someone got me this excited about being creative. And that easily gave him this spot on the list.

#2. Amy Grant - I have made it quite clear several times that Amy Grant was the first musical artist that I truly fell in love with as a child. She was a huge inspiration to me as I grew up in many aspects of my life. Now I did place her at only number two, since, as writers, we do differ a lot when it comes to style and, sometimes, subject matter. I could seriously make her more edgy, if she wanted that. Still, I do love her work, and no matter who comes and goes on this list, she will permanently have a place here.

#1. John Rzeznik - So, you know how I just said that I am not into being trendy? Well, that is true, but sometimes I am so into not being trendy that I nearly miss out on good things that I think won't be good because everyone else thinks they're good. Yeah. Case in point, The Goo Goo Dolls. Back in the nineties, when that band got huge, I really did not get into them so quickly. I wasn't a fan of "Name" at first, nor was I a fan of "Iris", which ironically ended up making it onto my Top Ten list of movie songs. It may have had to do with overkill, but eventually, I came around. And what got me to do that? Enter Behind the Music. I was going through some life difficulties, and one day, I sat down to watch television, and their episode was on. I listened as band member John Rzeznik spoke of his own troubles and depression, leading to a bout of writer's block, which he described as doing tons of writing, but just thinking everything sucked. I have dealt with those same issues, and I certainly was at the time. And, believe me, it is hard when you suddenly think that you are no longer good at the one thing you always thought you were good at. Well, from that moment on, I became a great admirer of his and his band, and I have wanted to write with him ever since. Ever since I was nineteen years old. That is a long time. Still waiting, but, of course, still hoping.


So there you have it. As I mentioned, this list is subject to change at any time, especially if anyone on it decides to do something to annoy me or what have you. Also, should I get any comments on this post, they will probably consist of people asking "How could you forget about (insert name of legendary songwriter here)?" And I understand that. Like I said, this could have easily been a Top One Hundred list. I could have filled it, no problem. But I must have self-control. Thus, these are the ones who are my current top ten. Still, I would love to work with so many people. May I one day be blessed to do so.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer