Monday, July 29, 2013

The Pretender Lives!

Greetings,

Patience is a virtue. And it is one that I rarely have. However, I have learned that patience is often rewarded with great things. For example, let's say that one of your most favorite shows gets cancelled rather abruptly, and, aside from your collection of DVDs, it is gone from your life. But, then, over a decade later you hear news that it will be returning. Hosanna! Well, this is happening to me right now, alongside many, many other loyal fans of a little show called The Pretender.

Any of you who read my tribute, blog post entitled "The Great Pretender" knows that I absolutely loved this show back in the day, and I have continued to love it throughout the passing years. I won't go into too much detail about the show (you can read the aforementioned post for that), but The Pretender was a show that had a lot of detail to it. There was a lot of story there, the characters, Jarod, Miss Parker, Sydney, etc., were very complex and there was so much going on all the time. Now I did say, previously, that I wasn't exactly disappointed in the ending we got. I wasn't necessarily happy since it was ending, but the creators gave us the best they could under the circumstances. However, a lot of fans, myself included, always hoped for more. There was always a feeling that many more stories could be told concerning the series, and there are. That leads me to the joyous and triumphant return of The Pretender.

There has always been talk or hope of The Pretender being brought back, one way or another. With all the different types of media we have, it was always a lingering idea. Recently, talk of this has been becoming more prominent amongst the fan base as well as the creators. What with clues being dropped, hints being given, and whatnot, all of us knew that something was coming. Well, we just got some great news from two of the creators of The Pretender, Steven Long Mitchel and Craig W. Van Sickle, confirming that all the buzz is true.

In some new interviews, they told us about the ways they would be bringing back this great show for all the fans so that they can continue the story and go even more in depth on it. Apparently, they will be starting with novels, the first of which I heard will be released this fall, then moving on to graphic novels, then, perhaps a movie, or mini-series, and, hopefully, a full-on return of the series, itself. A mention was made of doing that last bit Netflix style, as Arrested Development has recently done. Sounds like a great idea to me. No kidding!

I know that I and so many other fans are extremely excited about this. We are happy to get back this amazing show any way we can. Whilst, at the moment, and since we are beginning with novels, I have no idea how or even if the original actors will be involved. They were a huge part of why the show was successful and why it developed such a following. I know it has been a while, and we've even lost some core cast members, but I'll take it any way I can get. Hopefully, they will be involved in some way. Hey, maybe they can even do an animated series and let the original actors do the voices. Yeah, I may have loved Jarod's face, but his voice was a close second.

So that's about all the info I have right now. As I said, the return of The Pretender really is because so many fans have wanted it for so long, but if you never watched it, don't feel left out. The creators are working hard to make it possible for new fans to join in. But, if you get the chance, rent or buy or whatever the original series. It is absolutely worth your time, but it will probably get you as excited about all this as I am. You have been warned.

And, in closing, may I just say - THE PRETENDER LIVES!!! And I'm going to throw in a big, loud, Kermit the Frog sized - YAAAAY!!!


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer