Greetings,
I have always loved music, but it took me awhile to get into the country kind. Actually, all it really took was a few cute boys coming into the mix. Now I am a fan of that kind of music completely. Well, maybe not completely. I can name a few people that I try to avoid, adulteresses and whatnot, but let's not get into that today. Anyway, since I became such a fan, I tend to take notice of things if they have something to do with country music, like movies, for example. One of those movies is Country Strong.
Now I am not generally a huge fan of actresses becoming singers and vice versa. It can work, but it mostly seems contrived to me. Or a mess so hot you could toast marshmallows over it. In the case of our star here, Gwyneth Paltrow, I've always enjoyed the way she managed to use her talent for singing by slipping it into her acting jobs. She's never made a full on album or expected a Grammy, I think. Anyway, in this film, she really melded these two talents together better than she ever has. Okay, the story.
Country Strong is about a once praised but recently fallen singer named Kelly Canter played by Paltrow. We start off with her in rehab for her alcoholism, something which led to a very tragic, very public incident in her life. While there, she has met a special friend named Beau Hutton, played by Garrett Hedlund, who is a talented but unknown singer/songwriter. Oh, and by the way, when I say "special friend", it's exactly what you think it means, despite the fact that she is married. Her husband is a man named James who is played by Tim McGraw. So they are really not kidding about her having a drinking problem. I mean, who would cheat on Tim McGraw, for real? And while on the subject, I know I said I'm not always into the career switcheroo thing, but I do enjoy Tim McGraw as an actor. Still, I do hope one day he REALLY steps out of his comfort zone with this. Someone who hasn't always earned their "Good Acting" badge with me is Leighton Meester who plays Chiles Stanton, a young singer, relying more on her looks than her talent for fame, at first. Maybe it's the character she plays on Gossip Girl that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but here, she's not so bad.
The plot follows this three-date tour for which James has pulled Kelly out of rehab. I'm guessing not the best idea. James wants to hire Chiles as the opening act, but Kelly wants Beau to do it. Oh, for crying out loud! It's three dates. What is the whoop? Anyway, they take both youngsters with them and hilarity ensues. By hilarity, I mean one mess after another for Kelly. Hey, you take someone out of rehab early, you pay the price . . . to the concert promoters who are super annoyed at these shenanigans.
As their time on the road continues, Beau, who initially is not at all that crazy about Chiles, begins to develop feelings for her, as does she about him. I kind of think we saw that one coming. Despite this relationship that is blossoming, to say the least, Beau still cares deeply for Kelly and seems to be taking better care of her than her husband sometimes. Now that time, I didn't mean that the way it sounded. Actually, most of the time, Beau comes off as being a very sincere friend to her who is pained as she engages in destructive behavior. It's kind of sweet.
Despite all the bad that occurs, there are a few bright moments. One of my favorite scenes is when Kelly goes to visit a little boy named Travis. She sings a song that she makes up on the spot that is especially for him, and the whole room starts dancing. We get to see a rare, gentle moment of love between Kelly and James that almost makes you forget all the problems, but when you do remember them, this scene could break your heart.
The end of the movie gives us a concert in Dallas, the city where that tragedy I mentioned earlier occurred. After that, a few more things happen and then we're done. Now the end of the film could be considered predictable, but that all depends on whether you are a pessimist or an optimist. I can't really say for which type of person this ending is predictable, because then I would be giving it away. And I don't want to do that, since I will most likely recommend this one. Before I get to officially doing that, we have something else about which to talk - the music.
So was it any good in this film? For the most part, I'll say yes, especially if you like country music (no kidding). It was so good, in fact, they released two CD soundtracks. Of course, if you like Tim McGraw's singing, you are out of luck. He is featured on but one song, and it is a duet. But there are some really strong musical moments here. Some of my favorites are the the title song, another one called "Timing is Everything", and of course, "Coming Home". The last of those was actually nominated for some big awards, and I get that. It is a beautiful and heartbreaking song.
Okay, do I recommend this movie? Yes, I do. While I can admit there is a lot of predictability in it, the performances are very strong and the music is good, something one may look for in a music movie. And, to combine those two things, the performances of the music are also very well done. I think it fulfilled what it set out to do. So check it out, especially if you like that country music.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer