Greetings,
Two things make me sad today. First, it's the anniversary of the death of Dennis Wilson. Second, I'm sure there are many people who do not even know who Dennis Wilson is. The easy answer is to say that he was the drummer for the Beach Boys, which is no small thing, but he was so much more than that.
When people think of the Beach Boys, hopefully, the first thing they think of is the wonderful music they created. Then, of course, they remember the problems that Brian Wilson encountered while trying to keep up with the label of genius with which everyone branded him. I sympathize. He was a genius and it must have been difficult to not disappoint everyone by falling short of that title.
But imagine being a genius and not having anyone know. Well, I think that was what happened with Dennis.
Don't get me wrong. I'm certain that his family and those closest to him knew exactly the amazing things of which he was more than capable. It was the public at large that I don't think ever realized what a gift he truly was and still is. All one has to do is listen to his masterpiece album Pacific Ocean Blue to know what we lost.
That album is full of proof positive that Dennis was as blessed, if not more so, than anyone we label as a legend. Each song, each note, each word is drenched with everything that made him what he was, and he was no doubt extremely proud of this piece of art. Anyone who considers themselves an admirer should be proud of him as well. And anyone who listens to this and feels nothing must have only the coldest parts of that Pacific Ocean coursing through their veins.
Without a doubt, Dennis Wilson is one of the most underrated artists of all time. It's fine to remember and honor him today, but I choose to do so each time I get lost in the beautiful music he gave us. It was as much of a treasure as he will always be.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer