Greetings,
You know how there are certain authors who you know about and you're really familiar with their work, but then one day you stop and say to yourself, "Hmm, I don't think I've read anything by that writer." Well, for me, that author has been Dean Koontz. To be honest, I may have read something of his in the past, but it's been so long that I've forgotten. That's a shot at my poor memory, not his ability to write a memorable story. Anyway, I decided that, this year, I would make an effort to read some books by the prolific Mr. Koontz. I was inspired when one of my favorite YouTubers, Travis McBee, did a whole video showing off his massive collection of books by this particular author. He called it his Koontzy Collection. I'd judge him if that isn't what I'd call it myself. So, after hearing him give some rapid fire and spoiler-free reviews of his many, MANY books, I knew that 2018 would be the year of Dean Koontz for me. But only if I started on a good note. And it certainly did with the book I'm going to discuss today, Innocence.
Innocence is a 2013 novel about a young man named Addison Goodheart (no, really) and he lives underground. Like, literally, underground, under the city. He is forced to hide himself because he looks a certain way that makes people turn extremely violent toward him when they see him. Why? What is it about him? Is he disfigured? Is he too ugly, too beautiful? Is this a Powder situation? You don't know, but that's part of the mystery.
Anyway, one night he comes across a young woman named Gwyneth, who is running from a man that is clearly trying to harm her. Turns out, she knows about some hidden parts of the city about as well as Addison does, and she's got some issues of her own. Much like how Addison doesn't want to be looked at, Gwyneth does not want to be touched. So, they realize that this understanding and accepting of the other's needs makes them a perfectly matched pair. Which is good, because they have a long road ahead of them. One that the reader will be compelled with which to follow along.
As the book begins, you will start to find a lot of questions being thrown at you about the characters and the world that surrounds them, ultimately making this a mystery novel. But it is the curiosity and the want to answer the questions and solve the mysteries that makes the reader want to continue. So, everything is propelling you forward because you just really want to know what the deal is with everything and everyone.
If I had to make any gripe, it would be that this one pretty major plot point that leads us straight to the ending kind of comes out of nowhere. I mean, I really didn't see it coming and as far as I gathered, there weren't any obvious clues that gave it away. Of course, since I was so engrossed in the story, I figured "Hey, let's just go with it." And I was fine. Now I have heard a few other complaints about the reveal of why Addison can't be looked at. Some people didn't like the reason that was given. I'll admit it, I didn't see that one coming either, but I found it rather interesting. I also find it interesting that some people are qualifying this as a horror novel. I mean, I suppose there are some aspects of the book that could easily be considered horrific, but full on horror? I'm just not feeling that. Still, I don't think it matters what category you put it in. It's good any way you look at it.
Speaking of which, if I may say, the writing in this book is absolutely beautiful. The descriptions, the words that were chosen, everything was just fantastic. Clearly, I have been missing out all this time I haven't been reading Dean Koontz books. The man has an incredible gift. I guess that would explain his massive success as a writer. Just kidding. We all know that one does not require writing talent to sell a lot of books. But thankfully, he has it.
In conclusion, I am definitely recommending Innocence, especially to anyone like me, who wants to dive head first into the world of The Koontz. Or anyone like me, who simply loves beautiful writing. Either way. In fact, I am so impressed and inspired by this man's work that I might even write him a letter. An actual letter. With pen and paper. Because he totally has an old school P.O. Box. Good times! It's just another reason to like the guy.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer