Thursday, December 14, 2017

A Novel Romance - TV Movie Review

Greetings,

As I've mentioned on several occasions, I love a good movie about writers. I also may have mentioned fewer times that I like Hallmark movies, as well. Some of them. Look, don't judge me. Life is hard, the world is cruel and they make me feel cozy. There! So what could possibly make me feel happier than a Hallmark movie about writers! There are more than you may think, but I've chosen one to discuss today called A Novel Romance. Get it? Always being clever, those Hallmark folks.

A Novel Romance is a 2015 movie about a mysterious writer and the woman who cracks the code . . . to his heart! Did you like that? They should hire me to do their promos. So, the writer is named Liam Bradley, played by Dylan Bruce. Well, Liam Bradley is his REAL name. The pen name that he uses is Gabriel August, because of course it is, and, for the life of my, I can't figure out what kind of books he writers. Although, considering his large female demographic and judging from the book covers, I imagine he's a morph of a romance novelist and Nicholas Sparks. There's a thought. Anyway, no one knows who he is or what he looks like. It was a gimmick that worked, as he has become very successful, but the clock is ticking down to the time when he must reveal who he is to the world. And he is under extreme pressure to do this AND finish another book, by his publisher and his agent, Jackie, played by Camille Mitchell. Can I just say I love this character and this actress. Moving on.

On a plane trip from New York to Portland, where he plans to overcome a bout with writer's block, Liam meets Sophie, played by Amy Acker. She just happens to be a book reviewer for a local newspaper and she also just happens to have an ARC of the latest Gabriel August book. What ARE the chances? But alas, Sophie does not think highly of this new book and makes it known. Of course, what is not known to her just yet is that she is talking to the author himself! Okay, not exactly Elizabeth and Darcy here, but we might have some conflict.

Despite parting ways without really knowing anything about each other, they end up meeting again through a few coincidental incidents. Clearly, it's fate, so they begin the dating thing. But they do so very cautiously as they both have secrets that they hold close. Some of those secrets are revealed quickly; others take time and result in even more conflict. Because people being honest with each other and having conversation is the enemy of a plot. It's like the opposite of a MacGuffin. Still, while Liam and Sophie get to know each other, they both have support from good friends. Liam has Jackie, who is a bit of a mom figure to him, in my opinion, and Sophie has her two best friends, as well as Harris, the owner of this bar/restaurant thing, who is played by Charles S. Dutton (YES!). He is yet another character that I love. All these friends do their best to give sound and encouraging advice, but ultimately, Liam and Sophie must make a decision for where their lives will go and if they will go anywhere together. I wonder.

Now, look, I know that we all have ideas in our head about what a Hallmark movie is and some of us may be a bit judgey about it. I understand. These films aren't exactly groundbreaking and they are overly sappy about 99% of the time. But isn't that the point? I mean, you can't not know what you're getting into with these things. Still, there are some gems in there. I happen to think this is one of them.

Yes, it is a bit convoluted and predictable, but if you look a bit deeper, you can find a decent story about trust and moving on from one's past. And love, of course, but not just romantic love, though that is featured prominently. Like I said, I love the Harris and Jackie characters and I enjoyed Sophie's best friends as well. Those relationships spotlighted the love that comes with real friendship and how good friends look after one another and care about each other. That was the best part of this thing for me. And I liked seeing Portland through those Hallmark colored glasses. Almost made me want to visit there. Almost.

So, if you're into this kind of movie, I say it's worth a watch. It's got a cute story, it's heartwarming and the acting is pretty decent. And what more can we want from the oeuvre of Hallmark. I love a company that knows its brand.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer