Saturday, August 26, 2017

How Old Are You? / Robin Gibb - Album Review

Greetings,

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a hardcore admirer of the Bee Gees. Ever since I was a teenager, when I found out they did more stuff than Saturday Night Fever, I have been listening to their amazing catalog of music. In fact, my favorite songs is one of their songs. But I'm not exactly here to talk about the Bee Gees, at least, not collectively. And probably not TOO much. No, today I will mostly be discussing just one of them, Robin Gibb, and his solo album How Old Are You?

How Old Are You? was released in 1983 and was Robin's second solo project. The first was 1970's Robin's Reign, which was made back when the brothers broke up after their initial success. It was a sad time. I guess. I wasn't there. And I don't think I've ever actually heard that album. Maybe someday. Anyway, according to my info, this was made around the time that the Bee Gees were doing the Staying Alive soundtrack (which was AWESOME!), as well as the time when they were writing and producing a lot for other artists. With this project, though, it appears that only Robin and Maurice were involved, writing all the songs and producing with a guy named Dennis Byron, who had been working with them as a drummer for quite a while. Actually, they used a few of their regular musical personnel for this, which I'm cool with, because obviously they're good at what they do. Unfortunately, Barry was apparently not involved at all. Well, you know how twins are sometimes. Gotta do their own thing. But I digress. The music!

Okay, let me get this out of the way. The production on this album is very synth heavy. There's a lot of it. A LOT! Of course, it was the 80's and it fit the style of music that Robin had been doing, so there you go. And to be honest, though it is quite prominently featured, it's done in such a way where it won't get obnoxious. Like other stuff I could mention. I'm sure it didn't hurt that the songs are so good.

Ah, yes! The songs! In my opinion, they're all good. No lie. Fine, some are better than others, just like it always goes, but I do really enjoy every song on this album. I'll just go through some highlights, though, starting with the opening track. It's called "Juliet". I think it's based on some book or play or something. Anyway, it's where Robin begins to show of a very extensive falsetto, particularly in the chorus. It's something that shows up quite a bit over the tracks. Oh, and think you can still find the video for this on the YouTubes. Go watch it . . . and then tell me what it's about, because I had some trouble following the story arc.

Another single released from the album was "Another Lonely Night in New York". What can I say? I like a good song about New York, and there are so many. And let's be honest, if I was in New York, I'd probably be lonely, too. Oh, I get it. Lonely in a city full of millions of people. Robin, you are wicked smart! Probably my favorite song is "Don't Stop the Night". Again, Robin excels with the falsetto, doing it more flawlessly than anyone I can think of. And I just love that title and how well it ties into the lyrics about yearning for a lost love when you're forced to see them moving on. Kinda heartbreaking. And the whole album ends with a great song called "I Believe in Miracle" with even more fantastic lyrics. Yes, I'm a lyric snob. We all know this.

So, I guess I should talk about the titular song, "How Old Are You?". Yeah, it could be considered a tad . . . controversial. Something about someone being 17 and "a girl with woman's charms". Look, I don't know. I DON'T KNOW. All I do know is that this is kind of in the "Don't Stand So Close to Me" territory, and if we let Sting get away with it, we really should let Robin. Plus, the song is extremely catchy, so all is forgiven!

And I think that's what makes this album excel musically. It is quite hooky, as they say. The choruses are just a collection of ear worms, but the best possible kind. It should come as no surprise, since we know Robin's track record as a songwriter, albeit as part of a group. But if this shows us anything, it is that all three of them brought something to the table, and whether together or apart they were flat out musical geniuses.

Now, if i'm being honest, this album was not some massive success, certainly nowhere near the success that Robin previously had. I mean, I think the highest this thing charted was #6 in West Germany. Yeah, think about that. WEST Germany! That's how old this is. Ha! But on that subject, you have to remember when this came out. It was in the wake of the disco backlash that the brothers had been victims of, and no one really wanted to hear from them as themselves. As I mentioned, they were making bank writing and producing for other artists, but no one was that interested in their own work. And it's sad, because I think that was the main reason this got overlooked.

So, I obviously recommend How Old Are You? Give it a listen if you can get your hands on it. I seem to remember it being an ordeal to find a copy, but that was a while ago. You might have better luck. Now I would say this is best for true fans of all things Gibb, especially since I can admit that Robin's voice is a bit of an acquired taste. I mean, it is so unique and special, how could it not be? Therefore, if you love listening to him sing with the accompaniment of his brothers, you may love listening to him on his own. I certainly do. And ever since he, sadly, passed on, it's one of the things I hold dear.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer