Tuesday, July 11, 2017

All Things Must Pass: The Rise and Fall of Tower Records - Documentary Review

Greetings,

I often tell people about how much I love going to bookstores, and how sad I am that there are no longer any bookstores in my area. The reason I love them so much, and why I'm willing to travel a bit to get to one, goes beyond just what you may think. I don't only go there to buy books. I go there for the atmosphere and the feeling of being surrounded by all those books. It's not unlike why I and many other people still enjoy going to stores that sell music as well. Yes, those still exist, believe it or not. But, as we all know, many have been forced to close down. Even ones that bore a name that is pretty much legendary. And they are the subject of the documentary I will discuss today, All Things Must Pass: The Rise and Fall of Tower Records.

All Things Must Pass is a 2015 documentary directed by Colin Hanks, and, from what I heard, it took him quite a few years to put this together. It tells the story, obviously, of Tower Records, from its very humble beginnings to being synonymous with music buying to its eventual demise, which did not happen exactly for the reasons you may think and isn't exactly complete as some stores still exist overseas. The journey through this tale is told much in the way of most documentaries with a lot of archival footage and talking heads. Of course, the stories that those talking heads are what make this really enjoyable.

The most amazing thing about this film is the way we find out how this store affected so many people's lives. Whether it was the employees who absolutely loved working there because they loved music, or the regular customers who could find the artists they were into that never got radio airplay, or even the artists themselves who often visited the store to find new music for themselves. It was just a special place that, whilst becoming a massive, worldwide corporation, still managed to keep the feel of a neighborhood record store. Again, I think the reason for that is because everyone who was connected to it had a true love of music. It was even something of a hangout spot in some areas, a place where people with a common interest could gather and discuss and have a lot of fun.

Now, I personally never went to a Tower Records, as far as I can remember, because we did not have a Tower Records in my where I lived. We were more of a Sam Goody and The Wall kind of a town. But I knew of the legend. So, I can't actually speak firsthand on it, but there are enough stories where anyone can feel like they know the place.

Hearing the story of Tower Records from start to finish is fascinating. It has its own arc as though it was a living breathing being, and in some ways, it was exactly that. It had a birth and a kind of death and a lot of living in between. It had friends, enemies, loved ones, highs, lows, but most importantly, it had a lot of heart. And I think that's what the message at the core of this film is.

How many people start businesses everyday? A lot. How many people start businesses concerning something that they are hardcore passionate about? Probably not as many. I know I keep saying this, but it should be said. Tower Records was started and nurtured by people who had a very real love of music and those who created it, and all kinds, not just what was popular at the moment. It was that passion that led to its success, and what makes the fact that these places aren't as plentiful anymore all the more tragic. Yes, the music is still out there and you can still get it, just like books. But there is something magical about going to one place, a journey to a destination, to seek it out and share it with others face to face. It's sad that this doesn't happen much anymore, but at least, films like All Things Must Pass can remind us of that time and help to ensure that we never forget it.

So, I do recommend this documentary. I'd say it's for music lovers most of all, but I bet there are a few history buffs out there that might find it intriguing. This story, this place, after all, are a very important part of history.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer