Greetings,
About a week and a half ago, I did something I had never done before, which was review a podcast. May as well keep this thing going by, once again, venturing into new territory by reviewing a YouTube channel. I don't know why I never did it before, as I am a fan of so many, but I guess it took a very special one to get me to do this. So, let's discuss one of my most favorite of all the YouTube channels out there - Hey, Look, It's the Piano Girl.
The titular "Piano Girl" is Jen Msumba and she started her channel almost five years ago. In case you can't figure it out, the main premise is that she plays the piano. Good times. Now I know what you may be thinking - 'Aren't there a million YouTube channels with piano players covering popular songs?' Yeah, technically, that's true. But, because there are so many, it takes, as I said, a special person to stand out in the crowd. Jen Msumba is definitely a special person.
Let's get the obvious out of the way. She is a fantastic musician. In addition to playing the piano, she occasionally picks up the guitar and I believe she even uses a ukulele at times, just to shake things up a bit. While she does mainly do covers, and a wide array of such when it comes to genre, she also shares a lot of original music as well. Either way, each performance just has a unique touch and somehow, she manages to make every one her own. It's just a personal spark she adds that not everyone can achieve. That is something that makes her different from all the rest.
And while we are still discussing the music, I must say that Jen has been quite helpful to me as a writer. Because I am a writer who gets easily distracted from my work, and I need something to keep me focused. Enter one of her long playlists or videos with an seemingly endless amount of beautiful, instrumental music. I let it play in the background as I write, and it helps me to keep going with my work and calms me enough to do it well at the same time. Now THAT is something for which I am very grateful.
Oh, and I should probably mention that she did do a cover of my favorite son, I Started A Joke, as I requested. It made me very happy.
However, music aside, Jen has done a few vlogs on the channel as well, so we can get to know her as a person. And as a person, she is an absolute delight. She really can brighten up anyone's day just by sharing herself with us, but she also has discussed some more serious issues she has had in life. Whether being silly or somber, though, there is a sincerity to everything she says. That's another thing I appreciate. Now, I have to let you know that the few vlogs and non-music videos she put up on this main channel have led to a second channel, Jen Adventures TV, which you should also check out. Again, it is an absolute joy. Plus, you get to see more of her dog, Yerby!
In closing, I would like to say that finding people who are really...real in this world, and especially on the internet, is a bit of a challenge these days. So, when you CAN find one, you hang on and you spread the word about them. That was my purpose in writing this review today. Jen Msumba is one of those people who brings such positivity into the world, both through her music and her upbeat outlook on life. I'm glad I found her videos, and I hope you all check her out, too. Links below. You will NOT be sorry.
P.S. I may just have to add her to my list of people I'd love to write a song with. Just kidding. She's already on it!
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer
HeyLookItsThePianoGirl
JenAdventuresTV