Monday, March 13, 2017

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick - Book Review

Greetings,

I believe it was Alice of Alice in Wonderland who asked what use was a book without pictures. Well, plenty, but whatever. She was like seven. Still, I have good news for you Alice. I found a book with words AND pictures. So, there you go. Something for everyone. And what is this book, you may ask? It's Wonderstruck by Brian Selznik.

Many people knew of Brian Selznik from his previous book, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, which became the movie, Hugo. I have not seen the film, nor had a heard of the book, and I picked up Wonderstruck, his 2011 book, on a recommendation. I had obviously seen books with words and pictures before, as we all have, but this was done in a new way that I had personally never seen.

This book tells two stories, simultaneously, one with pictures and one with words. The written story is about Ben, a young, deaf boy in 1977, who is struggling with the death of his mother. Whilst trying to uncover the secrets of his past and where he came from, he finds himself escaping to New York City, following clues and seeking answers. The illustrated story is about Rose, a young, deaf girl in 1927, who idolizes a silent movie actress. Wanting to find this woman and talk to her, she also makes her way to New York City, looking for what she believes is missing most in her life.

With each passing chapter, we go from one story to the other, one life to the other, their individual journeys completely captivating the reader, so we're always wanting to get back to what's happening with both of these characters. And both of the stories are interesting enough, and end at all the perfect moments, that we can't help but propel ourselves forward, waiting to see if they are somehow connected, right up until the end. An end that is extremely satisfying, by the way.

If I may speak personally, as a writer, who deals only in words, this was a very interesting and almost humbling experience for me. We writers are charged with putting words together in the best way, which will invoke visual pictures in the readers' minds, and that is not easy. But now I see what a skill there is in telling a story in only pictures, thus, makings those same readers come up with a verbal story in their heads from just the look of those images. It had never occurred to be what a powerful gift that is. I get it now, and I see how, whilst I find words extremely valuable in the work of storytelling, pictures can be just as important, even on their own. Maybe especially on their own.

It is so difficult these days to find books and stories that are unique and original, and that are told in such ways. I'm happy to say that Wonderstruck was certainly a nice break from the normality and the carbon copies and the conveyor belt that much of the publishing industry has become. It is beautifully written and beautifully illustrated. In fact, I am probably more impressed by the drawings, as I do not draw very well, and thus, I am always bowled over by people who can do things that I cannot.

So, if you'd like a very special reading...and looking...experience, I highly recommend Wonderstruck. It will be a great journey and will bring your imagination alive in more ways than you ever thought it could be.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer