Friday, September 9, 2016

Genius - Movie Review

Greetings,

As a person who is a self-published author, I know that I miss out on some of the perks that traditionally published authors have. I wish I had the publicity, the funding and the professional help that they are accustomed to. What do I mean by professional help? Well, in this case, I am referring to that which comes from an editor. Yes, I am forced to be my own editor, which is rather a difficult thing to do, especially when you go to either the extreme of being too easy on yourself or too hard. Also, having what you write seen by someone else, someone who can give insight and criticism from another perspective, is so very valuable. But I never truly realized what a good editor can do to a book, how what they do is an art, in and of itself. Then, I saw a movie called Genius, where I got a good idea of what they do. And that is what I'll be discussing today.

Genius is a film that was released earlier this year, and if you haven't heard of it, that's okay. I barely heard of it, outside of a trailer and a short clip, but it seemed to be about writing, thus, I was in. The main character of the movie is a man named Maxwell Perkins, played by Colin Firth. Many people in the literary world would call him the most famous editor in American Lit history. I can believe that, as he worked with some of the greatest writers ever, like Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and, the other main-ish character, Thomas Wolfe, played by Jude Law. The story behind this film really does center around their working relationship, and eventual friendship, and the roller coaster ride that it was. To call it entertaining would be an understatement, especially if you've ever seen a writer react to having things cut from a book. Not a pretty sight, but occasionally, a downright hilarious one.

Now I don't know much about Thomas Wolfe, but if he was very eccentric and extremely passionate about his writing, almost to a disturbing degree, then I would say that Jude Law played him brilliantly, Southern accent and all. And that ended up being a nice contrast to the more low key, but still powerful performance by Colin Firth. They worked off of each other so well, and their chemistry was undeniable.

That aside, one of the most important issues that I felt is dealt with is sacrifice. The sacrifice that an artist must endure in order to make their creation everything that it needs to be, or that they want it to be. We see Perkins losing time with his family and Wolfe losing time with the woman he loves. There is an obsession that is brought out in the process that, I think, only an artist can understand. It's the need to make everything just right, or what you believe is just right. It can be so difficult and exhausting in every way, but it can be worth it.

I think I just love seeing the process being carried out. Perhaps, it is only because I'm a writer, but I am utterly fascinated by how people work. It's like one of those "How Crayons Are Made" type videos I used to see on Mr. Rogers. Sometimes, you don't realize how amazing a simple, little item is until you see the road it took to get to you. Crayons, books, it's all the same to me.

So, what else did I like about this movie? I know I already raved about Firth and Law, but they weren't alone. Nicole Kidman plays Aline Bernstein, Wolfe's significant other. Apparently, it was complicated. Also, Laura Linney played Perkins' wife, Louise. Both ladies were a absolute delight. We got Dominic West playing Ernest Hemingway, in a small, but fantastic role. And finally, Guy Pearce, as F. Scott Fitzgerald. He certainly gave the most heartbreaking performance, since his story line in the film had him dealing with his wife, Zelda's personal issues. He almost made me cry, even in a limited number of scenes, and he kind of blew anyone else who has played F. Scott Fitzgerald out of the water. I'm just saying. Point is, more brilliance.

Safe to say, I am recommending Genius. Now, I will admit, it may be an acquired taste for some viewers. But if you're someone who loves to enjoy the process of the arts, particularly that of storytellers, or if you are a writer yourself, I think this is best suited for you. Of course, if nothing else, you will certainly be entertained by the amazing performances. And you might just learn a thing or two about us writer people. For better or worse.

Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer