Monday, August 15, 2016

The Best Party In Town

Greetings,

I am not what you would call a "party person", if that is even a thing that one can be called. See, I'm a bit of a loner, as we writers tend to be, and I don't do so well with the crowds and whatnot. And yet, I am so witty and delightful that I have no doubt I would be the life of any party that I happen to attend. Hashtag Humble. Seriously, though, I do enjoy making people laugh and being a bit clever if I can, but I'm still not a people person, ironically. At least, I'm not an "in person" people person. Yeah. However, I have a found a solution to this problem, thankfully.

As I may have mentioned, I do love a good classic movie very much. My favorite film of all time is, after all, The Ten Commandments. So, it should come as no surprise that I frequent a little channel known as Turner Classic Movies, or TCM, as it is well known. And also easier to type. Another thing I enjoy doing is live Tweeting / riffing as movies are being aired on television. Is there anything that can combine these two loves of mine? Oh, yes, indeed, there is.

A while back, I discovered a lovely Twitter account (so few of those left) known as TCM Party. It's a place where people can watch great old movies and Tweet about them together. Well, "together", but that's more than good enough for a lot of us. Now, they don't work for TCM, as their account description says. They are just a bunch of awesome people who enjoy classic movies. Clearly, I fit right in. Mostly, because I, too, am awesome, but also the other thing. So, every now and then, they choose a movie and lead us all on a live Tweeting session where we can share facts or make jokes or just share our love of wonderful films. It's actually become kind of a lovely community of sorts. But, alas, here's where things get crazy...ish.

It is true that the official TCM Party folks do this only for some movies. I mean, they can't be doing this 24/7, and that is certainly acceptable. However, many of us have taken to...um, I don't like to use the word "hijack"...but yeah, we straight up hijack the TCM Party hashtag for pretty much any movie that is being shown on TCM. No lie. Go to Twitter. Search #TCMParty. Someone will probably be talking about whatever movie is currently playing on the channel. Now, I'm going to be an optimist and assume that they don't mind our doing this. After all, if you search that hashtag, you will be shown their account, and then, you will hopefully follow them. Good times.

You know, I understand that many people, including myself, feel like social media has actually made us less social in terms of human interaction. Still, it is nice and even comforting to find some like-minded people on the interwebs, especially if the thing you are like-minded about is something as benign as classic movies. Because, let's be honest, there could be worse things. And I love reading what people post about a film that brings a smile to my face, even more, when I can hopefully bring a smile to someone else's face. Not to get too deep, but you never know what kind of day a person might be having, and a silly little joke could brighten it up. So, it's worth it to me. And none of this would be possible without those fantastic people who started this whole TCM Party thing. It is, in my humble opinion, the best party in town.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer