Greetings,
I am someone who cannot stand when anything is overrated. I especially hate it when it's things like television, movies, music, anything to do with the arts. I hate it mostly because the more things that we give undue credit to, the more things that are legitimately great get shoved aside. And I'd say one of the most egregious incidents of this concerns a musical group and family known as The Cowsills. So, in hopes to rectify the behavior of others, I decided to talk about a documentary done on them called Family Band: The Cowsills Story.
This is a 2011 documentary that tells the tale of an incredibly talented group of brothers, a sister and their mother who ended up singing in a rock band that got very popular in the sixties. What's that you say? That setup of a mom and her kids in a band sounds familiar to you? Well, it should. You see, the Cowsills were the inspiration for The Partridge Family. And where would we be in a world without The Partridge Family? I don't want to think about that. But we're not here to talk about the fictional group.
The Cowsills began as a band with four of the brothers; Bill, Barry, John and Bob. Oh, and Bob, by the way, is the narrator for the documentary. I don't know how others feel, but sometimes I like it when the narrator has a personal connection in films like this. It works well here. Anyway, they had hopes of making it, having been inspired by The Beatles, which is very evident. But then, someone decided that they should include their other brother Paul...and their little sister Susan...and their mother, Barbara! The teenage boys were, apparently, not too thrilled about that, especially the "mom thing". They loved their mom and she had a beautiful voice, but come on now. The only one not involved with the band was their brother Richard, though we hear a story about how that came very close to changing. And that brings us to the dad, Bud, who was always running things behind the scenes, for better or worse. Yes, there were some serious "dad issues" in this family, ones I almost feel I have no place to share, even here. I think the only way to hear the stories is from the kids themselves. And they have plenty of stories to tell.
Everyone who is interviewed, from family members to friends to colleagues in the business to even Shirley Jones, helps to tell the tale of the group. And, though I think some have forgotten or maybe never knew, The Cowsills were huge for quite a while. Of course, as with most musical acts, that does not last forever, and we are taken through all the trials and triumphs that happened after that initial success. It is an extraordinary story, one that definitely should be told and heard. And no, it does not count to just watch old reruns of The Partridge Family. I mean, you can do that, no problem, but you should watch this film, as well.
But let me get back to my initial statement about The Cowsills being underrated. They were and still are. Sure, they were very successful, and I don't doubt that people back then were amazed at how fantastic these kids were as musicians and writers. But, for some reason, they don't seem to be remembered as prominently as I, and most likely others, think they should be. I suppose you can chalk it up to the competition of the times. Come on, the mid to late sixties? I don't think you can find any time period with more stellar music, so it was clearly easy for even an amazing group like The Cowsills to get lost in the shuffle. It's not like today, where literally anyone can become famous, talent not necessary. And yet, I feel as though it is our responsibility as music lovers to keep their legacy alive. And holy smokes, these people are insanely talented. They need to be remembered as such, and if I can help, even through my little blog here, I am happy to do so.
I'm going to conclude this by, of course, telling you to watch Family Band: The Cowsills Story. As I said, it is an amazing story, especially if you love to know all the behind the scenes goings on of artists. I know I do. I will admit that some of this is difficult to watch, because they all went through a lot. A lot of heartbreak and anger and abuse, but also a lot of success and joy and, not the least of all, love. But that's life. That is family. And, you know what? At the end of this film, after you hear everything, the good, the bad and the ugly, you see the family that is left and you see love. There is still so much love there. And also forgiveness. So, if you're looking for a happy ending, I think there is one. It was a tough road to get to it, for all of them, but they got to it.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer