Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Nostalgia Critic Old Vs New Wishlist - Top Eleven

Greetings,

I've said it before; I'll say it again. I don't like to tell anyone how to do their job, certainly not someone who I think is already doing a stellar job on their own. If you recall, a while back, I did a Top Eleven list of my favorite Nostalgia Critic episodes from his previous wave. Well, I'm visiting this subject again. You see, Nostalgia Critic does an occasional Old Vs New episode, wherein he compares older movies and their remakes. Some he covered were True Grit, King Kong and The Nutty Professor. He doesn't do these as nearly as I and probably other fans wish. Maybe it's because he can't think of any to do. I'm kidding. I'm sure he has his own list. But as I am always one to help, I thought I would share a list of suggestions that I hope will one day be covered by the Nostalgia Critic. And yes, I am doing a Top Eleven again, because that's what he does. And I will be calling him NC in the list to save me some typing. I'm not lazy. I just hate typing. Let's get started.

#11. 12 Angry Men (1957 & 1997) - This only makes Number 11 because I'm kind of cheating. Everyone knows the great 1957 film, 12 Angry Men, but I'm not sure if everyone knows about the TV movie from 1997. I have to say, I like both of them. Both had very strong casts, which is what the story relies heavily on. This also might be a challenge for the NC, because there is little to compare, other than those casts. Still, I wonder which one he would pick.

#10. Endless Love (1981 & 2014) - Yes, I know that the Cinema Snob already talked about the 1981 version of this film, and it was awful. The movie, not the review. And if anyone has seen the 2014 remake, you'll know that one was awful as well. But which was more awful? I guess instead of deciding which was the more superior film, NC will have to decide which is the more sucky film.

#9. Alfie (1966 & 2004) - Some people might say that this is an obvious choice. I mean, the original has Michael Caine. But you know what else had Michael Caine? Jaws the Revenge. And as penance, he must sit in anxious suspense as someone decides if maybe, just maybe, that remake is better than his original. Be careful what you say yes to, Mr. Caine.

#8. House on Haunted Hill (1959 & 1999) 1999 was not a good year for remakes of horror films. I refer you to NC's review of The Haunting remake. Yikes. But that wasn't the only one that was made that year. We also had a remake of the 1959 Vincent Price movie, House on Haunted Hill. I can't imagine NC thinking that it could be worse than that The Haunting remake, but we'll see. If I get my way.

#7. Ransom (1956 & 1996) - Raise your hand if you didn't know that Ransom of 1996 was a remake of a 1956 movie starring Glenn Ford, Donna Reed and Leslie Nielson. I'm raising my hand right now, by the way. Yes, despite the fact that Ransom is one of my favorite movies with my absolute favorite actor, Gary Sinise, I had no idea it was a remake. I've obviously never seen the 1956 one, so it should be interesting to see NC's take on both of them. And no fair giving the 1996 version more points because they were allowed to say the F word.

#6. The Poseidon Adventure (1972) & Poseidon (2006) - Believe it or not, I'm not sure which one I personally would choose as the better film. I mean, with one, you can make fun of Fergie's acting, but with the other, you have an excuse to use that South Park clip of the "A Morning After" song being sung by Cartman. It's anyone's game here.

#5. The Bishop's Wife (1947) & The Preacher's Wife (1996) - Well, Christmas is coming and NC always does something Christmas-y around that time. Why not pay tribute to Whitney Houston with this one? Unless he thinks The Bishop's Wife was better. Then, it's kind of a slap in the face to her. Okay, forget the Whitney angle. At least, we can also decide who is a better angel - Cary Grant or Denzel Washington. Might be a tie on that.

#4. Fame (1980 & 2009) - I want another Nostalgia Critic and Paw crossover. This might be a good contender for that. Plus, I'm hoping for some dancing. Aren't I always?

#3. Miracle on 34th Street (1947 & 1994) - Again, Christmas is coming, but I think we all know why this would be a good choice for an episode. That's right. More Mara Wilson. We really can't get enough of her, can we?

#2. The Fog (1980 & 2005) - This is another couple of films that I kind of like equally. By that, I mean I am not a huge fan of either of them. But if they happen to be on TV, I usually stop and start watching. It's that car wreck thing, I guess. And of course, the remake has Maggie Grace and Tom Welling. I want to see if NC can resist the urge to make any Lost or Smallville jokes. I know I wouldn't be able to do that.

#1. Clash of the Titans (1981 & 2010) - There is someone in my family who disagrees with me on which one of these films is better. What is even the heck? So, in order to prove how right I am, I will need some confirmation from an expert, like the Nostalgia Critic. Wow, I really hope he agrees with me. I think I'll keep my choice quiet just in case. Wouldn't want to embarrass myself...any more than I already have.

So, there you have it. Those are my choices for some great Old Vs New episodes for the Nostalgia Critic. Like I said, these are suggestions, certainly not demands, which means he does not have to do any of them. But, hopefully, if he gets the urge to do another Old Vs New, perhaps he will find this list somewhere deep in the internet, point to one of my selections and say, "Hey, that might be a good idea!"

Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer