Friday, July 11, 2014

20 Feet From Stardom - Documentary Review

Greetings,

So the last documentary I reviewed was called Muscle Shoals, and it was about a bunch of people who helped shape the music industry but who go greatly unappreciated by the public at large. Today, I will be reviewing 20 Feet From Stardom, which is kind of about the same thing. Relax, though. It tells this story from a different angle and, spoilers, it's also very good.

If you happen to be one of the few people who actually watched the Oscars this past February(I was, because award show nights are some of the most entertaining nights on Twitter!), you may have seen the best part of the ceremony, where 20 Feet From Stardom won for Best Documentary. Why was it the best part? Two words - Darlene Love. Just go You Tube it. It'll be worth it. Anyway, before that night, I don't think I had even heard of this film, or if I had, it was merely in passing. That's odd for me. I love documentaries, and I love documentaries about music. So I can't believe this one slipped by me. Still, as soon as I heard of it, I added it to my Netflix queue and got down to business.

20 Feet From Stardom tells the many, many tales of the many, many background singers who have been used in the industry for decades. You know that expression about people being seen and not heard? Well, these people have been heard and not known. You won't be long into this documentary before you realize just what a shame that is. Mostly because, in some cases, the background singers are better than those in front, in the spotlight. I suppose it proves that talent is only one part of becoming successful. It's a big part, I'd like to believe, but it's not the only part.

We get a lot of great interviews in this from those singers in the back, but we also get to hear from the big name, famous artists with whom they've worked. That's good because they are the ones who seem to be the most in awe of the talent of these singers. They love them and respect them in a way that a lot of the world either doesn't or hasn't been given the chance to do so. That is why I enjoyed this movie so much. This movie is that chance being given to the world to meet these people who have done so much to build the music world.

Now, some of the singers do speak about how difficult it can be, working so closely to the spotlight but never actually getting to be in the center of it. Hence, the title. And yet, none of them seem ungrateful for the opportunities that they have been given. Sure, a lot of them would love to be as famous as the people behind whom they are singing, but, at the same time, they seem happy to be doing what they love for a living. And they love it any way it comes. If for no other reason, this is why these people should be honored and appreciated for what they do.

So, I am recommending this very highly, even if you aren't a huge music fan. But, if you are, I am recommending it even more highly. 20 Feet From Stardom was a fantastic way to let amazingly talented singers finally, FINALLY, get the recognition they deserve. As someone who notices the ones in the back, I'm pretty happy that this film exists.

Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer