Friday, February 21, 2014

Top Ten Quotes About Writing

Greetings,

There are a lot of things that can inspire me as a writer. Actually, anything can do the job or, at least, has the potential to do so. One of the things that inspires me the most is hearing others talk about their own writing. Sharing their process, telling stories behind stories, sharing advice or letting the world know how writing has affected their lives. So, today, I thought I'd share with you some of my favorite quotes about writing. Here we go.

#10. "I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I am afraid of." (Joss Whedon) - So, he is not Buffy, but he is afraid of ... vampires? To each his own, I guess. Though, this does express how we, as writers, get to create and even live in fantasy worlds, and at the same time, almost pass as not crazy. Almost.

#9. "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." (Ernest Hemingway) - And drink. Because, you know, Hemingway. This may have placed higher on the list, but I do not use a typewriter to write. Nor do I use a computer. I mean, I do eventually, but that would be more re-writing. Also, my penmanship is sad. No, when it comes to creating my stories or poems or songs or whatever, I am a full-on luddite. Pen, paper, that's all I need. Other than that, though, I do agree with this statement.

#8. "Fill your pages with the breathings of your heart." (William Wordsworth) - I don't even think that "breathings" is a word. At least, not anymore. But this just sounds so nice. And true.

#7. "I hate writing. I love having written." (Dorothy Parker) - I see where she's coming from on this one, but whether you love the writing process or hate it, it is rarely better than looking at something you've already created and being proud of it.

#6. "You must stay drunk on writing, so reality cannot destroy." (Ray Bradbury) - I could make another Hemingway joke here, but I will not. I think this quote basically praises the escapism of writing. Even with all the chaos it can bring, it still manages to be our safe little place.

#5 "I go to great lengths to make certain situations feel right to the reader." (Sidney Sheldon) - I know it's a common thing to say that a writer should write for themselves first, not the audience. That is true, in a way. You can't consume yourself with trying to please everyone, because you won't. But whatever stories you come up with have to be right. I understand that the word "right" may seem broad or even unattainable, but, if you make it your goal, it can be reached. And when you get there, you just know.

#4. "There are 3 rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are." (W. Somerset Maugham) - Oh, what! That is not cool to get our hopes up like that, and then...nothing! Seriously, though, I think what he's saying here is that every writer does have a number of rules that they follow to create their work, but each one of us has different rules in order to make our work what it is. It's what makes us all unique from each other. Even if you say you have no rules when it comes to writing, well, that right there is one. So...take that.

#3. "Talent is helpful in writing, but guts are absolutely necessary." (Jessamyn West) - In other words, you can be equipped with your bungee cord or your parachute, but if you're scared to jump, you miss out on the thrill of the experience.

#2. "The goal is to have every character take on a life of his or her own. Sometimes characters will come into the story that I haven't planned." (Francine Rivers) - If you've ever cried when you had to kill off a character, not because you wanted to , but because that is the story, you will understand this statement all too well. Sometimes I think we're just vessels or portals for all those stories that what to be told, all those characters who want to live. I can think of worse jobs to have.

#1. "You can make anything by writing." (C.S.Lewis) - As someone who did not exactly have the best life in this world, I am truly grateful that I have the gift to create others, so that I can make it in this one as long as need be. I have always done it, and I always will, wherever I might be.


So, these are some of the words that inspire me. Hopefully, they will do the same for you.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer