Greetings,
Okay, I can admit it. I'm kind of cheating on this one. Snoopy!!! The Musical began as an onstage play, and what I am reviewing today is, not so much a movie as it is a TV special. But, if you've seen it, you'll know that it's certainly good enough to be considered a movie musical. So here we go.
Snoopy!!! The Musical was a 1988 special that aired on CBS and was about an hour long. As I said, it was based on a musical of the same name, which had some runs through the 70's and 80's, and then had a West End revival in 2003. Now I've never seen this thing live on stage, but if it's as good as this special, I think I'd be in for a treat. Now let's talk about the plot of this thing I have officially dubbed a movie.
Well, frankly, there kind of isn't a plot. What it is, actually, is a lot of musical vignettes, as well as short comedy bits, featuring the Peanuts Gang, Snoopy included, obviously. Oh, and speaking of Snoopy, in this, he speaks. Most of us are used to a silent Snoopy, but here, he has things to say. Technically, it's more like an inner voice, since we, as the audience can hear him, what with all the fourth wall breaking, but the kids really cannot hear him. Relax, though, some things haven't changed. Woodstock is still a silent observer, and the teacher still speaks with her (or his) signature "wah-wah" thing. Good times. Alright, let's just talk about what we're really here for, the music.
You may not believe this, but I think I can safely say that this is the only musical where I love every song in it. No lie. This thing has some fantastic music. Hats off the those who wrote it, Larry Grossman and Hal Hackaday, not to mention the musical director, Desiree Goyette. Oh, and the kids who sang it were amazing. I mean, their harmonies were so phenomenal, even chilling at times. So, since I've now said that, I may as well go through this song by song. Nothing too fancy, just some quick synopses.
First, as the credits roll, a song called "The Big Bow-Wow" plays, but the actual song is extended later. I don't know what you call a reprise if it comes before the song. A PRE-prise maybe? Anyway, the first full-on number is called "Don't Be Anything Less Than Everything You can Be". I love the lyrics in this song, very creative, and I can see how kids would get a kick out of them, too. But it also manages to give them a good message for life. Next, we have "Snoopy's Song", a very quick ditty wherein Snoopy tries to convince Charlie Brown to not trade him in for a cat, at the behest of Lucy, who proves, yet again, that she is a terrible, terrible person.
Then, we get a tiny little interlude called "Woodstock's Theme", where we just get to see him fly around, albeit badly, but the music fits. Next up, we head off to school for "Edgar Allen Poe". I'd say this is probably the best written song, both lyrically and melodically, and it is, in a way, two songs in one. The part that the girls sing is quite different from that of the boys, but it all manages to mesh itself together into this very intricate composition. It just sounds perfect. Okay, now time for the ladies. "I Know Now" is our diva number, wherein Lucy, Sally and Peppermint Patty sing about all they have learned as they've grown up. Yeah, they are still kids, but we'll let that go, since the song is so well done. Then, this thing gets seasonal on us, as Linus performs "The Vigil", a song about, you guessed it, The Great Pumpkin. Oh, Linus. The blanket, the thumbsucking and this? You got problems, buddy. After that, we get "Clouds". The gang sits in a meadow and looks at the clouds, but they also see a lot more than that. Once that gentle little melody is through, we then go epic.
We move on to "The Great Writer". Here, we follow Snoopy through a musical writing session as he tries to create his masterpiece. It's kind of all over the place, but somehow, it works. Okay, back to the slow and easy stuff with "Poor Sweet Baby". After Charlie Brown shares about his "dream girl" to Peppermint Patty, she sings this lovely little tune about it. Of course, it's all sweet until she finishes and things go back to status quo. Next, we get the aforementioned "The Big Bow-Wow". When Snoopy gets chosen as Head Beagle, whatever that is, he gets all dressed up, top hat, cane, tails (of course) and all, to go out on the town and celebrate. Finally, we end with "Just One Person", which is probably my personal favorite. The Peanuts Gang gets together to sing this absolutely beautiful song that is about believing in one's self, and how wonderful it is when others believe in you as well. Some people may call it sappy, but I think it was the perfect way to end this classic musical.
You know, I've seen some pretty lousy musicals in my day, and I find it incredible that this little, barely one hour TV special can get it so right. If you haven't seen it, see it. It is so much fun, and as I said, many times here, the music is just phenomenal. These songs will be stuck in your head for a while, but you won't mind at all. So, if you have kids, show it to them. If you don't, show it to yourself. It's that good.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer