Saturday, February 2, 2013

Top Eleven Nostalgia Critic Reviews

Greetings,

Late last year, some of us who find entertainment in internet personalities suffered a great blow. The icon known as the Nostalgia Critic and his series came to an end. Teardrop. I was particularly sad, since I, in part, credit his creator Doug Walker, his site, That Guy With the Glasses, and the personalities therein for getting me fired up about my blog again. I very much enjoy a lot of the series on the site. They are quite entertaining, and my only real complaint is that they swear too much, for my own taste anyway. Yeah, that usually is my complaint for a lot of things, isn't it? Oh, well, they can do what they want. These are their shows after all, and all the other stuff they say is pretty darn funny. Yes, darn.

Anyway, once I heard of this departure, I immediately began working on a list of my favorite episodes by the Nostalgia Critic. I did finish it, and it has been residing in the notebook I use to work on these types of blog posts. I had been meaning to share it with you all for quite some time, but I never got around to it. I thought I should do it ASAP, since I recently got some good news. It appears the Nostalgia Critic is returning. Smiley face times ten. So I suppose we will have to refer to these as my favorites from the first wave.

Now the Nostalgia Critic mostly did movie reviews, as well as top eleven (yes, ELEVEN!) lists and tributes to certain people or TV shows. So I thought the best way for me to pay tribute would be to turn the tables a bit and do my own top eleven list of my favorite Nostalgia Critic movie reviews. Now I am only going to include his MOVIE reviews on this list, but that is not to say I wasn't incredibly entertained by his retrospective of nostalgic commercials or his trouncing of shows like Full House and Saved by the Bell. Yes, I can and have watched those episodes many times. But I needed some focus, and I decided to zero in on the movie reviews. I certainly hope he doesn't mind. And also, in honor of such, I am doing a Top Eleven. So here we go.

#11. Independence Day - There is something really special about a critic who isn't afraid to say that he hates a movie that everyone else seems to love. Such was the case with Independence Day. The Nostalgia Critic was not exactly crazy about this film, and, looking back now, that may be with good reason. I think the "new" wore off that movie fairly quickly. But he was very excited by the fact that "Boomer will live!"

#10. Doug's First Movie - As I mentioned, the Nostalgia Critic's real name is Doug, so when it came to the Doug cartoon, there would be no middle ground. It would either be loved or hated. And it was very much hated. Still, though it was painful for him, he managed to give us a great review of the feature film spawned from the show. What a brave man.

#9. Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier - So it seems there is a theory that the odd numbered Star Trek films are the not good ones. Whilst I do kind of enjoy the third, I'd otherwise have to agree with that. And so the Critic decided to focus on just those films, and the best review, in my opinion, was that of movie number five. Maybe it was the ridiculous "God" element or the disturbing Uhura dance. But really I think it was the "Row, Row Row Your Boat" singalong. What, Shatner? What!

#8. A Simple Wish - Yeah, everyone loves this review, and for one major reason - the fantastic appearance of Mara Wilson! You know Mara Wilson. She was IN A Simple Wish and Matilda and Mrs. Doubtfire. And she has grown up to be a severely awesome chick. Really, Hollywood? You give all your attention to people like Lindsay Lohan, a sub par actress at best, and totally forget about the talented former child stars like this young lady. Get your act together over there.

#7. The Cell - It's no secret that I have much love for Vincent D'Onofrio, so you'd think a bad review of one of his films would just anger me. Well, not so much in this case. When it comes to The Cell, I do think it has moments where the look of it is a bit interesting, but I can't really put it in the "so bad it's good" category. "So bad it's mesmerizing" maybe. And I am with the Nostalgia Critic when it comes to directors who put these bizarre images in their films for the sole purpose of wanting us to ask them what it means. No, I don't want to ask you what it means. I know what it means. And it's kind of lame.

#6. The Room - Now here's a movie that's so bad it's good. Or, at least, very entertaining. If you don't know about The Room, it is this very notorious bad movie that has developed quite a cult following. I think everyone who reviews bad movies has taken time out for this one, and the Nostalgia Critic is no different, even though this film is not within the time frame for things he counted as being nostalgic. But so many of his viewers asked for it, so he did it. Because he loves us. And it was hilarious.

#5. Casper - Hey, we get another special guest in this episode. Who? Well, it is Casper the Friendly Ghost himself, but he's kind of not so friendly here. It's okay, though, because it is that which makes this one beyond great. I do love this idea that they had and carried out very well, and it ended up being really funny. And this is probably the only time you will see a movie with Clint Eastwood being reviewed by the Critic. Yeah, Clint was in Casper. For only like two seconds, but it counts.

#4. Jaws: The Revenge - As someone who has also reviewed this film here on my blog, I do sympathize with the Nostalgia Critic on this. It's one thing to watch this devastating movie, but to have to sit there and dissect it and come up with things to say, I can confirm that it is painful. And I can be humble here and say that this review was better than mine. Of course, it was. And, in conclusion, may I remind everyone that sharks don't roar.

#3. Airborne - Never head of this movie? That's cool. I didn't think anyone, besides myself, had EVER heard of this. So imagine my surprise when it popped up on the Nostalgia Critic review list. Now if you read my little retrospective of a show called Swan's Crossing, you will know the reason why I actually saw this movie . . . IN THE THEATER! And seeing this review just reminded me that, yes, we are all young and foolish at some point. Not just me. I mean, Jack Black and Seth Green are in this thing. That's right, boys. Remember your roots and learn from them.

#2. Moulin Rouge - So I have always kind of dug Moulin Rouge. It is dizzying at times, but a lot of it I find entertaining, probably because I like artsy stuff. The Critic, on the other hand, hated this one. But whatever about the movie, this review episode is actually very well done. It's elaborate and entertaining and extremely impressive, really. It's clearly the one that had the most work put into it, and it pays off.

#1. Batman and Robin - Again, you all know I love Batman, and I am happy to rush to his defense. To a certain extent. That all most definitely stops with Batman and Robin. I cannot defend this film. No one can. But we can certainly mock it to its most deserved death. Now, though this movie is basically throwing us pitches we can hit where that is concerned, the Nostalgia Critic did a fantastic job of picking out the best worst moments of the film and amplifying them to a hilarious degree. And he is at his best when he takes one of those moments and turns it into one of the most beloved moments of his own legacy. That can be summed up by my simply uttering this phrase - "A BAT CREDIT CARD!?!?!??!" I don't think I have to say anything more here.


So, much thanks to the Nostalgia Critic and the man behind the man, Doug Walker, for all the great entertainment. And now that he is returning, I look forward to many more laughs. I know he won't disappoint.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer