Greetings,
I am still going through withdrawals. That's right. It has been two months since the final episode of House, and the sarcasm thirsty corner of my heart still sheds a tear. I know I have the DVDs and the episodes are shown on TV constantly, but it's tough to know that there will be no more adventures with our favorite doctor, nor will their be anymore of what I will be counting down today. We'll get to that in a minute.
First, let me address that final episode. I won't give anything away for those who may not have seen it, but I'd like to give my opinion. While, due to the overwhelming sadness we have, it is hard to put the word good anywhere near the episode, I must say I liked how it ended. It was creative but also typical. By typical, I mean, you are not at all surprised that Dr. Gregory House could not only come up with the idea of what happened, but he also managed to pull it off. I was actually pretty impressed with this ending.
So, like I said, there are a lot of things I will miss about House, but something I will miss mostly are the things he said. His genius, hilarious, offensive quotes. Maybe it's because I'm a writer, but I always felt like this was the best part of the show. So now that it's over, I thought I could run down through some of my favorite "isms" belonging to Dr. House.
#10. "I solved the case. My work is done." - This pretty much sums the doctor up quite well, and how he feels about his profession. He's a diagnostician, not a therapist. He's there to figure out what's wrong with your physical self. Once he does that, it's on to the next mystery. And House loves a mystery.
#9. "The simplest explanation is almost always somebody screwed up." - Take that, Occam. Now judging by the way that Dr. House is constantly taking shots at his inferior team members, I doubt that he will ever think of the "somebody" here as being himself.
#8. "I like you better now that you're dying." - Yep, this is about as sympathetic as he gets. But not to worry. I'm sure he'll start hating them again once they are dead.
#7. "Like I always say, 'There's no 'I' in team'. There is a 'me', though, if you jumble it up." - I love when people take old sayings and turn them on their butt. I guess whoever thought of that 'I in team' thing should have thought about it a little harder.
#6. "Read less. More TV." - As a writer, this one should offend me. But if Dr. House didn't watch a lot of TV, we never would have gotten all those scenes of him enjoying his soaps in that tiny little TV. And may I say, I love when a grown man is not ashamed of the fact that he loves his "stories".
#5. "We all make mistakes and we pay a price." - Okay, this one isn't that funny. It's not even always true. Well, the second part anyway. But when it is, this actually turns into quite a poignant statement. And the fact that he said "we", therefore, including himself, shows that, every so often, a little humility can sneak its way into him.
#4. "Weird works for me." - I am weird. This quote makes me feel very, very special. Thank you, Dr. House.
#3. "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - That was a bit of a long trip. But if the truth is our destination, it's worth it. This quote, though, is a bit ironic to be spoken by Dr. House considering what most people say about him. Although, if you ask me, the truth about him would be that he is fabulous.
#2. "Never trust doctors." - I know this may seem like an odd thing for a doctor to say, but when you think of how many times that were wrong, per episode!, it's probably a really good piece of advice.
#1. "Everybody lies." - This is probably the most famous of all the House quotes, and it is the most true. I believe he is mostly talking about his patients, and they did do a lot of lying. That never made sense to me. I mean, he's a doctor, not a recruiter for the Ivy League. If he asks you if you do drugs, don't say no when the answer is yes. He is trying to save your life, not trying to slip you up so the best you can hope for is to get wait-listed for freshmen year. The saddest thing is that I'm sure this carries over to real life. People are so considered with how they are perceived by others that they are willing to risk their own lives. For real, the truth will set you free, and sometimes lead to a cure.
And so that is the last we will hear from the finest doctor on the planet. I will miss him. I will miss his sarcasm. I will miss the cane that I am disappointed he never used to hit anyone. At least, I don't think he ever did that. Certainly, I would have remembered if he had.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer