Friday, April 15, 2011

Stranger Than Fiction - Movie Review

Greetings,

I love movies about writers. Call me a narcissist if you must. I just love watching stories about the process of the work, even though I am well acquainted with it. But, of course, everyone's process is different. Although, I do often wonder what hopes and fears we all share. Turns out, we may share a few bizarre ones. And this is why I wanted to talk about Stranger Than Fiction.

This film is about a man named Harold Crick, an IRS agent who loves numbers. In other words, the most boring man you will ever meet. He is played by Will Ferrell and while this role can be called comedic, it goes much deeper than slapstick. Anyway, one day, as he brushes his teeth, counting as he goes, Harold begins to hear a voice in his head describing his every move. It seems he has kind of life narrator.

Naturally, he's a little curious about what's going on, but when this voice eventually says that he is going to die, he becomes desperate for an answer to what's going on. So he enlists the help of Professor Jules Hilbert, played by Dustin Hoffman, who doesn't seem that freaked out at all. Although, with the eccentricity of his character, it's not surprising. In fact, he almost acts as those this is a normal and usual occurrence. It always made me wonder if, in his experience, maybe it was.

We soon find out that the voice in his head is that of a real author named Karen Eiffel, Emma Thompson's character, who is writing, or rather trying to write a novel with Harold Crick as the main character. Her dilemma? She doesn't know how to kill him, because, in her books, someone always dies. She does not enlist the help of Penny, played by Queen Latifah, but, instead, has this woman forced upon her by the publisher who has a deadline to be met, to assist her in finishing the novel.

In the meantime, Harold is sent to audit a very hippie-like bakery owner, Anna Pascal (Maggie Gyllenhall). She obviously wants to make his life miserable and nearly succeeds, until they begin to see things in each other that they never thought they would find. I'm not sure how I feel about this character, but I see what they were going for, making her such a contrast to Harold. Some of it works for me.

Throughout the film, we follow these two parallel stories, wondering if they're even in the same world. And as time goes on, you can find yourself rooting for both Harold and Karen to succeed at what they are after, though it seems impossible for both of them to win. Still, there's something about this movie that almost asks you to believe in some kind of miracle.

I can't really say anymore without ruining the story, but this is one of those movies that can be difficult to describe and really needs to be seen. It is a great movie though, especially if you enjoy actors stepping out of their typical comfort zone of roles. You'll also love it if you love movies about writers, which, as I mentioned, I do.

Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer